Founded in 1938 by Lt. Colonel John W. Dillin, publicity director for the Miami Beach Chamber of Commerce, the Florida Public Relations Association (FPRA) is one of the oldest public relations organizations in the U.S.
Originally known as the Florida Association of Publicity Directors, the group’s first meeting of roughly 50 practitioners has grown to include more than 1,200 members.
On May 10, 1956, a charter for the “Gator Chapter” of the FPRA was requested after its first organization meeting, during which S.E. Lorimier was elected general chairman and Walter A. Ketcham its vice chairman. Known today as the Jacksonville Chapter, we continue to offer our members professional support and development opportunities in public relations and communications.
On May 17, 2016, the Jacksonville chapter of FPRA commemorated its 60th anniversary with a celebration at the home of Dr. Wayne Wood, honoring its members, past presidents, guests, and students. Mayor Lenny Curry proclaimed that special day as Florida Public Relations Association Anniversary Day.